Your pet sitter for west/north Des Moines vicinity (including Johnston, Clive, Urbandale, Beaverdale, Windsor Heights, West Des Moines, and Merle Hay area).
My new site is under construction currently! Hopefully it will be completed soon! :)
Hello! My name is Abbey Floyd and I'm a 37-year-old resident of Des Moines with my kitten, Kritten.
DSM Pets was first launched in February 2008, and business thankfully continues doing very well and this remains my primary occupation after 11 years.
In my off-time, I enjoy writing, reading (mostly nonfiction), painting (though not terribly well), cooking low-carb recipes, and of course spending time with Kritten. In the past I volunteered with the AFSC (American Friends Service Committee), a peace-building non-profit organization, though nowadays I am considering new volunteer opportunities. In 2008, I graduated with a B.S. in Social Science and a minor in Criminal Justice.
Qualifications, Training & Affiliations
On February 2, 2008, I successfully completed Petco's Pet First Aid Online Course, which included instructions on what to do in a variety of situations (administering CPCR, poisoning, chemical and electrical burns, lacerations, sprains and strains, hypothermia, etc.).
DSM Pets is insured by Pet Sitters Associates, LLC (document of proof can be furnished during our meet-n-greet or verified through their website).
Why I Became a Petsitter
In short, because I love animals! I have been involved with caring for various animals throughout my life, including dogs, cats, hamsters, turtles, freshwater fish and invertebrates, wild birds and rabbits (through the Wildlife Rescue Team), pet mice and rats.
Dog-walking became a hobby back in childhood that I've maintained interest in. Both the dogs and I benefit from the exercise and fresh air, and the company can't be beat!
The pets I cater to include dogs, cats, rodents and rabbits, reptiles, and freshwater/tropical aquariums.
* Please note that I do not provide services for birds, snakes, or guinea pigs (the latter due to an allergy), sorry.
Regular Fee Schedule
15-minute Visit ** -- $10 ** (see note below)
30-minute Visit -- $15
45-minute Visit -- $20
1-hour Visit -- $25
** 15-minute visits are now available only near my home vicinity (located within Merle Hay area) due to fuel economy and travel time considerations. Please email me with any questions.
*** NOTICE: An additional $5 fee will be added to each visit to households with 5 or more dogs present.
$5 added per visit on major holidays
(This includes Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve & Day, New Year's Eve & Day, Memorial Day, and Labor Day.)
Payments are accepted via Paypal, money order, check or cash.
* Note: To send payments through Paypal, I will need to provide you with the corresponding email address.
The Initial Meet-n-Greet
When you call or email, we can arrange a time for a "meet-n-greet" to allow everyone to become acquainted. During this visit to your home, I will:
Meet you and let your pets become familiar with me
Provide any requested documentation and references
Ask for detailed information about caring for your pets and your home
Attain your veterinary release signature (if applicable)
Pick up a door key or garage code for entry
During this visit, we will discuss how many times you would like me to visit, approximate times requested, and what services you wish to have performed. The earliest I tend to schedule visits is 8am.
Following are things to consider before going out of town:
Ensure that you leave enough food, kitty litter, bedding, etc. for the time you will be away.
If your pet requires exact portions or a precise blend of foods, it may be a good idea to pre-bag the servings.
Leave out any medication your pet may require with detailed instructions. While we may have covered this info on the form filled out during our meet-n-greet, we can never be too careful!
Let me know where you keep your dog’s leash, bowls, and toys. We'll go over during our initial meeting.
If you have a pet carrier, please leave it out where it is easily accessible.
Make sure your pets' ID tags are securely attached to the carriers if they're not worn on a collar.
If your pet has any ongoing medical concerns, please let your vet know that you will be out of town and that I will be caring for your pets. It's also appreciated if you could provide your vet's contact information in case there are any problems while you're away.
Let me know if your pet has any health or behavioral conditions that need to be watched, such as skin irritation, high anxiety, or coprophagia. Or if there are restricted areas in the household where they shouldn't be allowed access.
Inform me of any home items that are defective or in need or repair such sinks that do not drain, toilets that overflow, etc.
If your dogs are going to be outdoors, please make sure the yard is secure and all gates are locked.
If you rent, please inform your landlord about me caring for your pets and give him/her my information in case of an emergency.
If your house has an alarm system, please double-check the codes with me before you go. Very important!
Do you provide dog-walking and pet-sitting services in Ankeny, Waukee, Grimes, Pleasant Hill, Altoona, or Carlisle, Iowa?
No, I'm sorry I don't. I prefer to remain local to keep fuel costs and mileage down, which keeps my rates reasonable and fair. By limiting my service area to the northern and western parts of Des Moines, I can remain flexible in terms of last-minute bookings and can drop in regularly to visit pets that require extra care (e.g. - frequent potty breaks or medication dispensation).
Where, specifically, is your coverage area?
Roughly, West Des Moines, Urbandale, Clive, Windsor Heights, Beaverdale, Johnston, Sherman Hills, Linden Heights, the Des Moines-West vicinity, and near Downtown no farther east than 17th & Grand Ave.
This area includes sections of the following zip codes: 50307, 50308, 50309, 50310, 50311, 50312, 50313, 50314, 50315, 50325, 50322, 50323, 50265, 50266.
Ten dollar 15-minute visits are available only for pets in close range of my home vicinity, which is located within the Merle Hay area (please email me to inquire).
Once I schedule pet-sitting visits for my pet(s), what happens next?
Scheduling is followed up by a "Meet-n-Greet" (i.e. - initial consultation) preferably at least 3 days prior to the first pet-sitting visit. During this visit, we will go over any necessary paperwork and rate quotes. This time also gives everyone involved (particularly your pet) a chance to become acquainted and for me to note details of their routines and where supplies are stored.
Do you watch pets in your own home?
No, I do not board animals at my place or provide day-care services for a variety of reasons, namely that I live in an apartment and have pets of my own that may not be compatible with yours. Care is provided at your home only.
How much notice should I give DSM Pets when booking a visit?
Preferably call or email as soon as your plans are concrete. The more notice I have, the better I can serve you.
Please remember that pet sitters can book-up quickly, especially around popular travel holidays.
Who will be coming to my home?
I alone will be taking care of your pets. I do NOT hire outside help or out-source as other pet-sitting companies so often do. This allows your pets to become familiar with me, as opposed to having different people visit your pets each time.
Is there a limit to the number of pets you will care for?
No, your rate is based on the amount of time dedicated to visiting with and caring for your pets. If the allotted time must be exceeded, your rate will be adjusted to cover the extra time to properly care for your pets, but the time needed can usually be assessed in advance during our initial meet-n-greet. However, households with 5 or more dogs will incur an additional $5 fee per visit.
What happens if my pet becomes ill or injured while I'm away?
If your pet needs medical attention, he/she can be taken to your preferred veterinarian or the nearest veterinary hospital if after-hours (at your expense and with your permission granted). If an appointment cannot be scheduled with your preferred vet, your alternate vet will be called. In the event that neither veterinarian is available, your pet will be taken to a quality, local vet clinic to receive necessary treatment.
You and/or your emergency contact person will be called as per the instructions provided on your Client Information Form (filled out during the initial meet-n-greet) and your pet can be taken to the veterinarian of your choice. In the event of an incident or illness occurring when your preferred vet is unavailable, I can try my best to transport your pet to the nearest after-hours clinic to receive care.
DSM Pets Petsitting Policies
All uses of the phrase “DSM Pets" or "I” shall refer to Abbey Floyd of DSM Pets. "You" refers to the client.
1. Scheduling & visit times: Scheduling is on a first come/first service basis, but I will do my best to accommodate your needs. DSM Pets will visit at the requested times as closely as possible. However, if an unforeseen situation arises, the time may be adjusted.
2. Confirmation Call (Prior to out-of-town departure): DSM Pets will place a confirmation call, text or e-mail no less than one day before each departure, unless I hear from you first. Since phone messages and e-mails are not 100% reliable, please make sure we speak personally or that the email or text is acknowledged by DSM Pets. Please do not depart town without doing this! This is to ensure your pet’s needs are carried out as intended.
3. Early Returns: I understand that your plans may change and am very flexible when provided advance notice. If you return home early, please notify me immediately. If, however, you do not notify DSM Pets of an early return and I make a trip and find you home, the regular visit charge will apply.
4. Cancellations: I understand your plans may change and generally do not charge for cancellations when adequate notice is provided. However, if you cancel 24 hours or less prior to the time of the first visit there will be a $10 cancellation fee, payable before scheduling any future visits.
5. Inclement Weather: Primarily severe storms, tornado warnings, excessive snow/ice (bad enough that they result in school closures) and unsafe driving conditions, etc. You will entrust DSM Pets to use best judgment in caring for your pets(s) and home if I am servicing you at the time inclement weather occurs. I will do my best to carry out your instructions if they have been previously provided. Quality pet care and safety is my first concern.
The inclement weather plan will be as follows: 1) Every effort will be made to drive to your home; 2) The service schedule may be changed, interrupted, or altered due to circumstances; 3) If it is not possible to drive safely to your home, your emergency contact will be notified, 4) You will be notified that this contingency plan has been executed.
6. Medications/Vaccinations: DSM Pets will attempt to administer medications as directed but cannot be held responsible for complications that arise as a result.
Excessively shy cats with medical problems can be a serious risk. If you have such an animal, this must be thoroughly discussed. Under no circumstances will DSM Pets service any pet that has any form of a contagious illness. This is for the safety of other clients and their pets. DSM Pets requires that your pets have all necessary vaccinations and immunizations before service begins. If I am bitten or exposed to any disease or ailment received from a client’s pet(s) that has not been properly or currently vaccinated, the client will be responsible for all costs and damages that are incurred.
Also, I can administer oral or topical medications only (no subcutaneous injections).
7. Access to your Home by Others: If a client allows any other person(s) access to their home during DSM Pets' contract period, DSM Pets cannot be held liable for any damages to property or pets as a result. Please notify DSM Pets if someone will be in your home. Please also notify the person(s) in your home that your pet-sitter is coming so that your visitor will not be surprised by my arrival and entrance.
8. Fences: Fenced-in yards are wonderful play spaces for pets, however, no fence system is totally secure for your pet’s safety. DSM Pets does not accept responsibility or liability for any client’s pet that escapes, becomes lost, or is injured (fatal or otherwise) when pets are left out or given access to a fenced-in area. This includes electronic, wood, metal or any other fence types.
9. Pet and House Clean-up: DSM Pets will properly dispose of pet waste and, to the best of my ability, clean up any accidents your pet may have. DSM Pets is not responsible for carpet/flooring stains created by your pet(s). I do request that you provide plastic bags, cleaning products, towels/paper towels, trash bags, and indicate where you would like any waste disposed of.
10. Unplanned fees: There will be a travel charge of $5 as well as reimbursement (receipts will be provided) if I have to restock depleted supplies. It is the owner's/client's responsibility to supply more than adequate amounts of food, litter, medications, and other needed items for proper care of their pets.
11. Leashes: All dogs will be required to be on a leash during outdoor walks.
12. Animal Behavior: Animal behavior can be unpredictable at times. DSM Pets does not accept responsibility or liability for animal behavior, normal or otherwise, which results in injury to the client’s animals. Furthermore, if I am harmed or injured by the client’s animals, the client/owner accepts full responsibility for the cost of any necessary medical attention required by either Abbey Floyd or the animals.
13. Updates: Please provide me with any changes regarding your pets’ care and other pertinent information.
14. Payment Options: Payment is due on or before the 1st day of service (unless a prior agreement is made). DSM Pets accepts cash, checks, and Paypal payments.
15. Keys: If you are not already doing so, consider letting DSM Pets retain your house key. In the event of an unexpected trip, you’ll be glad you did. Keys are kept in a secure system and are coded to ensure my clients' confidentiality.
If you choose not to have DSM Pets retain a key, there is a $5 fee for key pick-up and/or drop-off (if outside of scheduled visits). If the key is provided during the initial meet-n-greet, there is no charge.
A second option for key return is via U.S. mail. To cover costs, the charge for this option is $3.
Please double-check the key you provide DSM Pets to be certain it works properly.
16. Policy Changes: All policies and guidelines are subject to change at DSM Pets’ discretion, though current clients will be notified of any changes that do occur within a timely manner.
This is Heading
This description of this image
This is Heading
This description of this image
This is Heading
This description of this image
This is Heading
This description of this image
This is a paragraph. To edit this paragraph, highlight the text and replace it with your own fresh content. Moving this text widget is no problem. Simply drag and drop the widget to your area of choice. Use this space to tell site visitors about your business and story.
© Copyright DSM Pets